Life According to Hanione

Friday, August 31, 2007

Swimming and the Primal Survival Instinct

I "swam" laps today for the first time since I was, oh, 11 years old. I say "swam" in quotes because it was a pathetic display of unswimming, or more-appropriately, floundering. As an aside, the expression "floundering" doesn't really make sense to me because a flounder, being a fish, should be a pretty good swimmer. Unlike me, apparently, which brings me back to my story.

I took swim lessons for a couple of years when I was a kid. I remember learning rotary breathing and the backstroke. I know I wasn't the worst kid in my classes, because that kind of humiliation would have stuck with me. I think I enjoyed going to the pool. So it was quite a shock when I jumped in the water today and realized that in the 15 years since my last swim class, my subconscious has become convinced that I will die if I exhale with my face in the water. Having a primal survival instinct is a good thing, except when you try to do something like make bubbles underwater and find that your abdominal muscles inexplicably received a massive dose of botox.

After six gasping, sputtering, frozen-diaphragm laps, I gave up and went for the kickboard. Actually, that's probably not a bad thing, because I went to the pool because I've been having some knee troubles and wanted to get a no-impact leg workout. At any rate, I guess it'll take more than 45 minutes in the pool to get my groove back. Until next week, then...

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can breathe ok in the shower, right?

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A flounder is a fish that starts out being able to swim just fine but then settles on the bottom, where it spends the rest of its life ambushing smaller prey. Kind of like college professors, n'est pas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home