Life According to Hanione

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Why have a blog at all?

I suppose I wanted to start a blog for a couple of reasons.

1) If I don't start now, I may never be able to remember a time in my life when I had the time and the interest (although minimal on both counts) to do something like a blog.

2) As you are about to learn, I often find myself wanting to share my way of doing things with the world. However, my world consists of a very patient husband and a rather aloof cat, neither of whom actually care that my way really is the way.

3) My boss is on vacation and I've only got half an hour of work left, which I'm going to squander away setting up a blog that I will probably write on twice before ignoring it forever.

So, next I should explain the name. Hanione is my nickname. If you've read the Harry Potter books, you've met Hermione Granger. Now, Hermione's purpose in the books is to cleverly introduce expository information. In fact, Jo Rowling has mentioned that Hermione is a very handy character to have on hand, because the reader can assume that whatever comes out of her mouth is fact because she must have read it in a book or something (I'm paraphrasing here). In reality, Hermione is a bossy, over-achieving, know-it-all who takes herself way too seriously. And she's just like me.

Interestingly, I'm 25, so my personality was rather firmly entrenched before I ever met Hermione. Yet, the resemblance is so striking that my husband and his sister, who are both Potter fans, have lovingly dubbed me "Hanione", a clever amalgamation of my own name and Hermione.

Well, that should just about do it for the first posting. Before I go, I'll start my first little blog tradition. I'll call it "Why can't people just do things my way?" WCPJDTMW

WCPJDTMW #1 Toilet Paper Rolls
I cannot understand why people insist on putting toilet paper on the roll the wrong way. The roll should have the free end of the TP hanging away from the wall, not next to the wall. A properly oriented TP roll conveniently presents the free end for the user, without all that unnecessary fumbling and spinning. Fortunately for me, toilet paper orientation is one topic upon which my husband and I can definitely agree. Now I just have to enlighten the rest of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home